We all love to meet like-minded people, especially outdoors and that’s why we want to give you the best guidance possible so it’s easier and quicker for you to make those connections.
When organising a hike for a big group of 30+ people, you’d think it’s a lot of preparation but it’s just the same amount of preparation as if you were doing it with 5 people. All attendees take care of themselves and everyone follows each other when walking.
We’ve put together some guidance about how to organise a group hike below. Do feel free to download information from this blog post to use as a resource when planning your hike.
- Put a post in your regional group asking members if they’d like to join you for a meetup, hike, coffee etc. Find out interest and then keep in contact with those who have expressed interest.
- Google locations, go on hiking apps like AllTrails, OSMaps, or search our suggested ‘Best UK Hikes’ [COMING SOON] and select which one you would like to do.
- Once you have found the place you’d like to hike in, you can keep your OAG friends updated via your post and add a link to the event you will create in the steps below.
Organising a Hike via Facebook Events:
- Start by creating an event under the ‘Events’ section at the top of the Outdoor Adventure Girls Facebook group page.
- Then select ‘Create Event’ and follow the guide listed on the page. Add details such as location, date, time and plan for the meet-up. If you are meeting somewhere more remote please use what three words to pin a specific spot.
- Once the event is up, keep an eye on attendees and send updates if needed before the event.
IMPORTANT: We must remain accessible to everyone, therefore if you are arranging a meet up or walk. All members of OAG are able to organise meet-ups within their regional group.
Please be respectful of everyone in the group. And please read the GROUP RULES. Anyone not being respectful will be removed from the group. This is a group for women ONLY.
Example of copy for event
Hey girls, a little get together for anyone wanting to meet for an hour-long walk and a coffee to get in the festive spirit.
Date: Friday 24 December (aka Christmas Eve)
Location: Meet at Bury Mount, Towcester, NN12 6AD [OR the what3words location] e.g ///adapt.cornfield.blockage
NOTE: If the event is more detailed with lunches going on or picnic, add these details.
EVENT DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE:
Please feel free to copy and paste the below and change the details required.
Welcome to an East Midlands Outdoor Adventure Girls circular 8 Mile Hike in the Peak District.
Starting at Mam Nick Car Park > Mam Tor > Hollins Cross > Back Tor > Lose Hill > Castleton > Mam Nick Car Park
Please do read the details carefully so we can all make sure we are all comfortable.
- 8am at Mam Nick Car Park, Hope Valley, S33 8WA.
- There’s a Pay by Phone meter there for all non-National Trust members, if you are a National Trust member you get parking for free. Please download the pay by phone app or have the webpage ready https://paybyphone.co.uk.
- Please bring a packed lunch if you aren’t booked into the sit down meal.
- Lunch has been booked for a small amount of this group. If you haven’t been messaged about it, I’m sorry but it got full very quickly. The booked lunch is at Ye Old Nags Head (01433 620 248), your food order has been placed.
- If you are attending lunch meal, you will need to let the group leader know if you have any dietary requirements.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- View the document pinned in a post at the top of the event page (see what to pack tips on our Instagram).
- [Explain the route] e.g Please download AllTrials app & search for ‘Castleton, Mam Tor and the Great Ridge Walk’. An image is detailed in the post below. This is your guide route map but obviously starting at Mam Nick Car Park, Hope Valley, S33 8WA. If you lose the group at any point, everyone will be following this map.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:
- Please inform the group leader, [your name] that you will be attending and inform her of any previous injuries. Her number is [07xxx xxxxxx]
- Make sure you’ve gone to the loo before you arrive at the car park (no toilets on route until lunchtime)
- Please inform the group leader that you want to join the lunch booking [by XX date].
- Please do a lateral flow test/PCR test before you arrive. Do not arrive if you feel unwell.
Each member who attends are attending at their own risk. Outdoor Adventure Girls UK and the regional group leader (Jessica Purdie) cannot accept responsibility for issues encountered on the day.
The Week Before:
- Make sure to keep a list of attendees if you have a lunch booking or attending an activity. It’s best to do this on a live document or live notes on your phone.
- Before the event, check the weather, send a kit list (if needed) and send final details. You should also share your mobile with the attendees in case they need to contact you.
- Set up a Whatsapp group for your meetup, so everyone can communicate before/on the day and during. Please make sure that the WhatsApp group is then deleted after the event so that we can remain accessible to all who would like to attend. [See OAG group rules]
- Pull together a basic safety plan – think about risks and potential challenges and ensure you have the knowledge and skills to manage. I would always recommend taking a mini first aid kit if you’ve got one. I always take one hiking anyway!
- Have a route plan – so you have an idea of where you are going/hiking! There are also lots of apps out there you could use e.g. Ordnance Survey, Komoot, AllTrails, OSMaps
- Bring food and water and any other kit you may need [see kit list]– remind attendees to do the same if you are out all day. Or book somewhere for lunch if you like.
On the day:
- Please also TAKE PHOTOS!!! We want to see all of your groups meeting up. Post in the main Outdoor Adventure Girls UK group, and also in your regional groups!
- Tag our INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/outdooradventuregirlsuk
- FINALLY, have the best time!! Connect, laugh, have fun and take photos!! Tag @outdooradventuregirlsuk and if you send us photos we would love to share on our channels to encourage others to either plan or attend an OAG meet up!
- On the meetup, make sure everyone is included and NO ONE is left behind. This community is amazing, so represent!!!
Thanks for reading,
OAG Team x