In this week’s ‘Meet The Moderator’, we chatted to our South East moderator Bri-Anne Want to find out what life has been like since moving over from Canada to Berkshire. Bri-Anne explores the benefits of being outdoors amongst the uncertainty and shares her top Wild Camping tips…
What do you enjoy most about the outdoors?
I like being outdoors as it is incredibly grounding – connecting with the earth, plants, and animals. I love the freedom it brings but also the discomfort and danger. You never know what to expect and that’s half the fun of it. It really can push you outside of your comfort zone.
Why did you join Outdoor Adventure Girls?
I joined OAG as I had just moved here from Canada and was really struggling to adjust to a new way of life. I had left my family and friends to start an epic adventure but realised quickly that would be the first thing I would miss (besides maple syrup of course).
What are the benefits of being a moderator?
Being a moderator brought me a sense of belonging and made me feel less like an outsider who would never fit in while living in the UK.
What do you do for work?
I am an Assistant Store Manager of a Cotswold Outdoor Store.
What are your top 5 tips for Wild Camping?
- Arrive late, leave EARLY.
- If you are solo wild camping, always be sure to let someone know where you are. I.e what3words, OS Maps
- Leave the bright clothes and tent at home. This is the one time you really want to blend in with nature. Look for a green or brown tent.
- Keep an eye out for Bothies. You will be surprised how many there are scattered throughout the UK.
- Prepare for the unexpected as it probably will happen at least once!
Is there a UK destination you like to visit often?
Scotland is an all time favourite. Anywhere in the Highlands is my happy place.